The purpose of this page is to help you to find accurate and reliable sources of information to answer your health related questions and become a more knowledgeable health care consumer. These resources do not replace the expert advice of a qualified health care professional. Please consult with a health care provider when making health related decisions. If you are experiencing a health emergency, please call 911.
Before using any online sources of healthcare information, we encourage you to consider the source and quality of the information. Here’s a handy guide from MedlinePlus and the National Library of Medicine on Healthy Web Surfing.
- MedlinePlus connects you to reliable, easy-to-understand health information on illness, symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, wellness and more. MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's website for patients, their families and friends and is produced by the National Library of Medicine, the world’s largest medical library. For a MedlinePlus website video tutorial, click here.
- Explora Public Libraries is an online resource available to all Jaffrey library cardholders, both at the library and remotely from home, on a computer or mobile device. Explora provides easy-to-use features and reliable content from the world’s leading magazines, academic journals, and reference books.
- Healthfinder.gov is a website developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and is designed to help you find reliable information on health topics, health care providers, insurance and local services.
- Need information on alternative health approaches? The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) is the Federal Government’s lead agency for scientific research on the diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine. NCCIH was formerly known as the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Traveling? Visit the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention Traveler’s Health page to learn about travel health notices, vaccines and related information before you travel.
- Need specific information for Children or Teens? Whether you need advice as a parent or easy-to-understand information on a health topic for your children, KidsHealth offers information on a variety of topics. The site also includes free videos on common lab tests and how the body works.
Need information on medications? While your health care provider and pharmacist are your best sources of information, the following guides may be helpful.
- MedlinePlus Medication Information - Basic medication information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine on drugs, herbs and supplements.
- FDA Medication Guides - An online version of the paper handouts from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that accompany prescription medications, containing information about side effects, instructions for use, and more.