Welfare Department



1.  Fill out an application for General Assistance
* Print an application from this website (link at left), or call the town office to have one mailed to you, or go to the town office and pick one up. 

2.  Call 532-7880 ext. 109 to set up an appointment for: Tuesday
* If you set up an appointment and do not attend it, you will be suspended from seeking assistance for 14 days.

3.  READ PAGE 1 and gather the documents that apply to you. 
If it does not apply to you, you do not need to bring it.

4.  Bring application & paperwork to your appointment. 
* If you work on Monday and cannot attend an
appointment, bring the application and your documentation to Jaffrey Town Offices or mail it to  Jaffrey Town Offices - ATTN C. Traffie, 10 Goodnow St. Jaffrey, NH 03452, with a note stating you work on Wednesdays.

5.  If required documentation is provided and verified, a decision is made within 7 DAYS. 
If required documentation is not provided, you will be mailed a notice of the paperwork still needed to provide before a decision will be made. 
* If your situation is considered an emergency, a decision will be made within 72 hours.

6.  A NOTICE OF DECISION will be mailed to your address.  Any assistance will be mailed directly to the vendor within 10 days of the decision being made.  

7.  IMPORTANT:  You may only apply once per month.  If you are eligible for assistance, you will be notified and the amount awarded is the total amount for the month you applied.

8.  Assistance is not on-going.  If you think you will need additional assistance, set up another appointment for the following month.


  • The Department does not pay for dentures/dental work, hearing aids, or eye glasses.  Certain Civic agencies may be able to help. Call Kiwanis, Lions, Elks, Rotary, and local churches.
  • The Department does not pay for internet, car payments, car repairs, car registrations, license renewals, drivers education, tuitiion, classes, lessons, credit card payments, or legal fees or fines
  • You may apply once a month.  You will need to submit a new application and provide all requested documentation and make an appointment.
  • If you are able to work, you will be required to look for work and keep a log of the places applied to as proof you are looking for employment. 
  • If you claim you cannot work, you need to provide a doctors note stating you cannot work.
  • If you do not have requested documentation it will delay assistance until it is received and verified by this office. 
  • A Notice of Decision shows the amount of assistance granted or denied, required referrals to other agencies, and what you need to do to receive assistance. 
  • If you have savings and/or retirement money, you must use it. If you do not have acess to retirement money, you must provide a letter from the agency that holds your retirement funds stating you do not have access to it at the time of your application for assistance.
  • REPAYMENT TO THE TOWN: You are required to repay all assistance once your income increases.

Staff Contacts